Back in April, a pack of wild teenagers stole my laptop computer right from the desk in my home.
You can read about that fateful day from my post, “Burglars Beware! Why to NEVER Rob a Writer’s Home.” However, as angry (and scared) as I was when it happened, I learned something that day:
Taking time away from the world of technology was refreshing—and amazing for my writing. I urge everyone to lose their computer for a week (I was out nearly a month) and see what I mean.
Here are my top eight reasons why you should STEP AWAY from the computer for once:
2. You sleep better, and deeper, and calmer.
3. You’re not as stressed from constantly being “plugged in.”
4. You have more time to exercise and cook healthy meals.
5. You concentrate on YOU, not what everyone else is doing.
6. Your mind can relax and regenerate, which = more creativity.
7. You read a book—the old-fashioned way.
8. And finally, your writing improves. Not just a little, but A LOT.
Sometimes, as ambitious writers, we forget that the most important aspect of writing, is living. And although the computer is a significant piece of building our names, we cannot let it consume our lives.
I CHALLENGE YOU: Leave your computer at a trusted friend’s for a week, and take away the temptation. Then tell us the outcome … Are you up for it?
**All photos displayed are the copywritten property of Shari Lopatin (except the books photo, which was borrowed from Google Images), and cannot be copied, reproduced, or printed without written consent from Shari Lopatin.**
*************************************[If you enjoyed this post, don’t miss the next! Sign up to receive my blog posts via email, and get the latest on writing tips, industry news, expert interviews, funny stories, and media strategies … every Thursday.]