How many times have I heard a (professional) writer tell me, “I really need an idea box?” Let me count the ways …
What is an idea box? Simply put: it’s a box you keep close to your favorite writing spot (for me, on my desk) where you stash all those great ideas scribbled on random pieces of paper. Personally, I carry a small notebook in my purse and jot down all kinds of phrases throughout the day.
Why do this?
Well, here are 10 reasons EVERY writer should keep an idea box:
1. It forces you to observe (hey, otherwise you can’t fill the box with ideas).
2. It solidifies the title of “writer” in your blood.
3. It keeps you looking at the world from different perspectives.
4. It kills Writer’s Block upon an attack (stuck? Just shuffle through your idea box).
5. It prevents the, “Oh crud, what was that great idea I thought of last night? It was classic, and now it’s gone!”
6. It helps you become more creative.
7. It prevents boredom.
8. It makes you feel important when your friends “oooo” and “ahhhh” over it.
9. It diversifies your stories and makes them better.
10. IT’S FUN! (well, at least for us writers)
So tell me …
Do YOU keep an idea box? Why or why not? And if so, how has the idea box helped you grow as a writer?Are you digging the advice I offer on my blog? Then sign up to receive my posts by email! As a professional writer, journalist, and corporate media strategist, I post about writing tips, industry news, funny life stories, and marketing strategies.